Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Weekend Travel Inspiration: Belgium, Chocolates, Father's Day and a Birthday

  
Bruges, Belgium -- a magical place ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Do you find it hard to think of gifts 
to give to your significant other?

Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Bruges, Belgium April 2011

After 25+ years of buying Birthday and Father's Day gifts 
for Mr. Goo Shoes, 
I always have a tough time coming up with what to get him. 

Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Bruges, Belgium April 2011
It didn't help matters that Mr. Goo Shoes' birthday and Father's Day fell on the same day this year, so I had a double gift dilemma.   

Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Bruges, Belgium April 2011
There's very little that Mr. Goo Shoes wants. 
He's not a clothing kind of guy.
It's just not his thing. 

He likes electronics, tools and car stuff. 
Exactly 180 degrees different from what I like.

Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Bruges, Belgium April 2011
Every year, I pray that the technology gods 
will come up with a new gadget to get me off the hook. 
Thank goodness for iPhones, iPads, cameras, head phones, 
radar detectors and the like. 

And then, a couple of years ago, I came up with a brainstorm…
The. Most. Brilliant. Idea. Ever.

Chocolates. 

Not just any chocolates…Belgian chocolates. 


Dumon Chocolatier, Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Dumon Chocolatier  - Bruges, Belgium  April 2011

Not just any Belgian chocolates…
chocolates from an amazing store 
we discovered on our trip to Bruges, Belgium
 a couple of years ago, called Dumon.  


(Please forgive me for blurring their faces…they don't want to become famous yet.)
To appreciate just how ingenious this idea was, 
you must understand that Mr. Goo Shoes 
loved these chocolates so much, 
he once actually said, 
(and I swear this is the truth...)

"We should fly to Belgium next weekend 
just to go to Dumon."


I ran upstairs and packed. 

This was totally out of character for him.
Turns out, he was in a chocolate stupor at the time, 
so he didn't really mean it. 

I unpacked.

Dumon Chocolatier, Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Dumon Chocolatier  - Bruges, Belgium  April 2011

There was only one problem with getting him 
Dumon chocolates for Father's Day, 
and that's was how to actually get them, 
because the only place they are sold 
is their store in Bruges

Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Markt Square, Bruges, Belgium   April 2011
I contacted the store. 
They don't ship directly, but they do ship 
via a site based in London called chocobong.com.  

I placed my order. 
Not only did I have to pay by the pound, 
I had to pay with pounds (the British kind), 
which made it a pretty pricey box of confections.

But Mr. Goo Shoes is worth it.

Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
The Belfry --  Bruges, Belgium   April 2014
I went all out and got him a "Giant" box of 64 chocolates.  

I also ordered a small box of 17 chocolates 

for Junior Goo Shoes and me, 
because you can't give someone a gift, 
and then eat half of it, can you? 



Mr. Goo Shoes was thrilled! 
This is the third year I have ordered them,
so it has become an annual Father's Day tradition. 


Believe it or not, he was still surprised this year.
When the Fed Ex package came the other day,
he wanted to know what I ordered
that needed a signature for delivery.
I told him a purse.
I think he believed me.
He's so easy to surprise.
I once planned an entire surprise party right under his nose. 

Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Bruges, Belgium April 2011
Mr. GS is very disciplined, 
and will only eat a few chocolates a day...

Junior GS and I? 
We ate almost our entire box right away.  


  It will take a lot of willpower for me to not eat 
any of Mr. Goo Shoes' chocolates,
but then again, 

 I'm not above sneaking one or two or five when he's not looking.

Bruges, Belgium ---  Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Bruges, Belgium April 2011

I hope the Dads in your life had a great Father's Day!



38 comments:

  1. Really fun post. Sorry he was only joking about your weekend chocolate excursion.
    Visiting from Weekend Travel Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhonda! Yes, he was joking, but sounded like he meant it. I would have fainted from shock if he followed through!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are one sweet wife to go to all that trouble and to spend that much on chocolates. I am sure they are divine and so are your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loved it, so it was worth it! I am trying SO hard not to sneak any (of course the little box is already gone:)

      Delete
  3. They must be realllllllly good chocolates! Your photos of Bruges are gorgeous. Maybe your surprise next year should be tickets to Bruges so he can pick out his own selection. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing, Cynthia! But I will admit, definitely not the same as eating them freshly made in Bruges! Beats anything you can buy here, though!

      Delete
  4. That would be hard ( not to sneak some ) : )

    Love the Belgium photos!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a struggle, Deb! I wish he would eat them faster, so they'd be gone already!

      Delete
  5. Amy, Wow! I have to say, I would do the same things for Belgian chocolates! I love this story. Hope everyone had a great day and thanks a million for linking up with Weekend Travel Inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corinne! I swear, it is tempting to go back to Bruges just for those chocolates, since honestly, they do taste better when they are super fresh!

      Delete
  6. OMG! Of course you've been to Belgium too! You lead a very good life. That was such a good idea to buy him those chocolates. I love chocolate and am sure I would love them too. One time I got to go to London. The chocolate there was better than here too. It was sweeter. Glad you had a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the chocolate everywhere is better than here! It's all natural...no crap in it like we add in the US. I've broken down and snuck a few, now that my little box is empty!

      Delete
  7. Amy what a wonderful treat and surprise for your hubby. I remember a few years ago when my hubby traveled to Belgium he would bring me back bars of chocolate. Nothing like it, it was the BEST!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute post and awesome photos.. I am sorry you had to unpack, that must have been sad. My hubby loves chocolates too, maybe I can talk him into a trip! They look delicious! Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he sounded like he meant it, but I knew better! I'm telling you, it would be worth the trip, Eileen!

      Delete
  9. Mmm... those chocolates had me drooling. And your shots of Bruges are amazingly lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ladyfi! I am trying so hard not to eat any more of them! Bruges is so pretty, even I could take good photos of it!

      Delete
  10. I had no idea about how beautoful Bruges is - it's not that far away from me, and obviously I have to go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are close, then you must go, Katrin! It's lovely, but go in spring or summer.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful shots and a fun story. Boom, Bobbi, and Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous photos Amy, a sweet story and an even sweeter surprise for your hubs! I hope Mr. Goo Shoes doesn't get any more surprises next time he goes for his chocolates!;))

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, well, I'm trying not to eat his, but now my little box is gone, so all bets are off!

      Delete
  13. Belgium Chocolates from Brugge - lovely to revisit via your photos. My son was born in Belgium and he is a real chocoholic, I bet I got him addicted whilst I was pregnant there, now I come to think about it. Lovely to have had my zero calorie chocolate fix via your photos today!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine most Belgians would be chocoholics, or they shoud be, anyway :) If I was pregnant and in Belgium, I'd be out of control!

      Delete
  14. A fun story and a special one. Enjoyed the trip to Brugge through your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! He really enjoyed the chocolates again this year! Happy to take you on my virtual trip!

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I would have fainted from shock if he really meant it! But I would love to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dumon chocolates must be so delicious, I wonder if they sell it in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the only places they are sold is in Belgium, and London. But I could be wrong!

      Delete
  18. Such lovely pictures of Bruges (and chocolates). Now if it had been me, I would have got two of the big boxes. After all there were two of you (almost) sharing .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Arija, I like how you think! I definitely should have gotten 2 bix boxes! Thanks for your visit!

      Delete
  19. Such a beautiful story, Amy - loved it! Made me laugh too (the packing to go part - been there!) I will be featuring your post in this week's A Return to Loveliness,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! I'm glad I made you laugh, and I'm thrilled that you will be featuring this post!

      Delete
  20. Hello I am visiting from A Delightsome Life. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post on Bruges, we are headed to the area for six weeks this summer and I look forward to hunting down the chocolate shop!
    I am sure your sweetie won't notice if you try another one today... ; )
    Have a great week.
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so envious that you will be spending so much time in the area! There are so many incredible chocolate shops in Bruge, but this was our favorite. Another very popular one is The Chocolate Line. They have the most unbelievable flavors! Have a wonderful time, and I hope you will visit my blog again!

      Delete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.