Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I want to go everywhere I haven't been, and back to everywhere I have been.

Thursday, May 17, 2018

YESTERDAY IN NEW YORK CITY: THE PUBLIC LIBRARY





Is there a place in or near your hometown that you've never been to? 

For 25 years, I worked one block -- one block -- away from 
the New York City Public Library,
but I never walked inside until yesterday. 
 
The interior of  the New York City Public Library is magnificent! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

I probably wouldn't have gone inside for another 25 years
had it not been for photos I saw on Instagram 
from Suzan, a favorite blogger/Instagrammer.
No, she's not a New Yorker........she's from Montreal
and happens to have a love affair with New York City (and Paris, I might add).
(Check out her gorgeous Instagram feed, here).

The interior of  the New York City Public Library is magnificent! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

It's not as if I wasn't aware that the library was magnificent.
But while I was working, I barely had time to run downstairs to Starbucks 
for a Venti iced skim latte,
let alone walk an entire block to the library
to stroll around and ogle its interior during my lunch hour.
The interior of  the New York City Public Library is magnificent! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Okay, that's not exactly true.
 My habit was to walk down Fifth Avenue, 
right past the library, straight to Lord & Taylor's.
I preferred soaking up the ambiance of the ladies' sportswear department 
over the interior of the historic New York landmark. 
While it's true that not a single librarian ever laid eyes on me,
the sales women in one of NYC's largest department stores all knew me by name.
To this day, they follow me around like hound dogs,
hoping to ring up my purchases.
No joke. 
But that's a story for another day.

The interior of  the New York City Public Library is magnificent! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The interior of  the New York City Public Library is magnificent! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Yesterday, I had a few hours to kill
in between lunch and dinner.
As I walked past the library on my way to Lord and Taylor's,
I thought, hmmmmm.....the shoe department can wait.
 I turned around, and went inside. 
I didn't spend a lot of time, and didn't see everything, 
but what I did see of the interior was as beautiful 
as some of the buildings I had just been to in Europe.

The interior of  the New York City Public Library is magnificent! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The interior of  the New York City Public Library is magnificent! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

The interior of  the New York City Public Library is magnificent! | Ms. Toody Goo Shoes

Now that I've been inside the New York Public Library,
I'd urge you to put it on your list of things to see 
the next time you visit the Big Apple.
And........if your next stop after that is Lord and Taylor's,
tell Vivian on the 3rd floor that I say hi!




7 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful building! I just love libraries! But I can see why it's easy to pass it by for a little shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    It seems I can’t comment unless I’m using Chrome browser. Seems to be something relatively new on blogger blogs, although on other blogs I’m able to do so if the blogger has ‘name/url’ as a sign in option. You do so I thought I was good to go but I commented twice and they didn’t show up. I use my iPad or phone so am usually on safari.

    So you were in Europe recently? What did I miss??

    P.S. Vivian and I are old pals lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went in last time I was there. It is gorgeous. I love Suzan as well. She is hilarious. My New Yorker is calling it quits and moving home and then on to Seattle. I will miss my visits to NYC. I can, however, visit it through your discerning eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Of all the times I have been to NYC I have never been inside either! It's gorgeous! I feel like I am in Italy from the pictures :-) A must see next time...maybe this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful building, that is one library I would love to go to. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is on my list of place to go my next NY trip, It was a lovely site on the show Sex and The City where Carrie And Mr Big was to get married LOL

    ReplyDelete

PRIVACY POLICY: I will never share your email information with others. I use your email to respond to your comments on my blog, or to interact socially with you.